This planned redevelopment will carry out the overarching vision of the Hickory Ridge Village Center Community Plan to position the village center so that it can remain a vibrant and viable amenity for the community for many years to come. That said, redevelopment does not happen overnight. Howard County requires a series of approval processes including public meetings. It also takes time to phase in construction. Now is the time to start the planning and approval process for the redevelopment of the Hickory Ridge Village Center. The Hickory Village Center opened in 1992, and the Center has dated architecture, poor layout for vehicular traffic, and limited visibility for the retailers within the center. In addition, there has been tremendous retail development in the Columbia market over the last 25 years which has brought increased competition and put stress on the village center concepts. Consistent with the Columbia Market Study, it is also important to introduce a mix of uses to the center, including Class A luxury, market rate apartments. This creates a more active center 24/7 environment, generates foot traffic for our merchants to thrive, and utilizes the existing developed area originally created in the Columbia master plan.
- All private investment by Kimco with NO public money or contributions.
- $80 million investment in Village Center.
- Enhanced mixed-use center will be positioned for long-term success and keep the Village Center vibrant.
- Updated contemporary design and usable village green space.
- Smart growth – redeveloping an existing developed site is more environmentally responsible than greenfield development.
- Village Centers are evolving and need to change with the current and future retail trends.